Finished goal of running the distance of 2,080 miles from Lafayette, LA to Washington D.C and back!!!...plus 339.1 miles


0.0 miles run this week.
Daily running average for the week is 0.00 miles per day.
Total amount run in the past 800 days is 2,419.1 miles.
Daily running average overall is 3.02 miles per day.

Day2 Tuesday 08/31/10

I was eager to run today and I look forward to eventually not feeling the strong need to stop after three minutes. As I was huffing and puffing I started thinking about something to take my mind off of my fatigue. Someone I know well and have known for a long time told me an undeniable lie today. It was not a big deal and I did not think much about it at the time, but it got me to thinking about lying on a broader scale and about our human nature to tell lies.

There is a curious and seemingly unavoidable tendency every person seems to have when it comes to honesty. I firmly believe that most of the words that come out of our mouths are embellished truths and half-lies. A smaller yet very significant percentage of our words are complete lies, though. And the bad thing about complete lies is that they are like snowballs rolling down a high and steep mountainside. Complete lies do not go away and tumbling snowballs do not thin.

I am attempting to establish a sense of scale here. One person exaggerating stories to their friends or telling small fibs to their family is generally harmless, normal and human among their own social circle within any given city. I do it and you do too. What is scary is if you imagine thoroughly magnifying the scale when you view the potential of truths and lies through the lens of government. It is pure parody and circus to read about and watch politicians behave and talk.

If you can come to terms with the fact that we as human beings embellish and lie more frequently than we would like to admit then you can really begin to see the disingenuous troll that a government can be. As I previously commented, it is human nature to behave this way and it is expected of you and me. For you and me, stretching the details of a story to make it a little more exciting is a favor to anyone listening because it makes things more interesting. And to tell a small lie or to withhold information is also a favor to others if you are trying not to hurt their feelings with a painful truth. If you do not want to get involved with someone else’s lies or exaggerations then you may lie or exaggerate to them to prevent your association with their verbal misgivings and lies. This is a small example of what happens when a snowball hits a snowy slope. If this is true, and our politicians are indeed human beings just like you and me, then they undoubtedly behave the same way but at such a grander and more impacting scale.

For me this realization and this belief, which I thoroughly advocate, encourages me to rely as little on government for my well-being as possible. It has shown me to be as good to others as often as I can because they will help me back, not my government. It has definitely taught me to not believe the majority of the words that come out of politicians’ mouths and to think for myself. And it has encouraged me to read as many books as I can about as many different topics I can find because knowledge is a power that no government can corrupt.

The campaign trail went well today. I ran 1.9 miles and that was 0.6 miles more than yesterday so I am moving forward to get in the routine of running at least 2.62 miles per day. I am stiffening into the sore stage of what happens any time a human body begins physical rigor new to its body.

2,076.8 miles to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment